MONOAMNIOTIC.ORG

Topic Options
#87184 - 06/26/12 11:50 PM DNA
Tonya Offline

Loc: Perry, FL
I have a question that no one may not be able to answer, or maybe you can. Well when Nikkie's twins were born, they gave us samples of DNA, I'm assuming like if they ever got mixed up, or something like that. But I heard on a talk show that "identical twins" have the same DNA. So just wondering does any of you know anything about that? Do they have the same DNA?
Haley (3 lbs 14 oz)
Kaley (4 lbs 3 oz)
33 weeks 4 days

#87192 - 07/01/12 03:50 PM Re: DNA [Re: Tonya]
gbabies Offline

Loc: Walnut Creek, CA
It's interesting that they gave you the DNA samples. They have very similar DNA, but not exactly identical. As they get older, their DNA will become more and more different. I believe it is called epigenetic modification. Also, with girls particularly, each of them could be using different copies of the X chromosome as the dominant one. The whole genetics is just fascinating.

This NYT article gives a good explanation on some of this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/health/11real.html

#87193 - 07/02/12 10:02 AM Re: DNA [Re: gbabies]
Tonya Offline

Loc: Perry, FL
Thanks for the info, even as the grandma, I still love reading about twins and there's so much information, I seem to still learn something I didn't know previously. I was reading on another website where it said they did have the same DNA lol. I would only think that it would be somewhat different. I never get bored about reading any of it though smile
Haley (3 lbs 14 oz)
Kaley (4 lbs 3 oz)
33 weeks 4 days

#87380 - 09/08/12 08:56 PM Re: DNA [Re: Tonya]
Tara and Garry Offline

Loc: Burlington Junction Mo, USA
My doctor told me yes they have the same DNA but like others have said as they get older some genes will be come more dominant. However, when they have children their children will be half brothers/sisters because their parent's dna is about 98-99% the same. Also, they have different fingerprints from birth. Amazing if you ask me

#87806 - 04/11/13 07:29 PM Re: DNA [Re: Tara and Garry]
marcela Offline

I Have heard the same as the pp post that the DNA is almost identical and about the childrens DNA resembling half brothers and sisters. There are quite a few studies that prove this to be accurate. I love this, if it wssn't for being in this position of pregnant with mono mono twins I would have never glanced twice!! Amazing info

Moderator:  alee, janetg, Lauraall