MONOAMNIOTIC.ORG

Topic Options
#87770 - 03/23/13 11:23 AM Any 1 whose memberane disappeared after sometime?
pin2 Offline

Is there anyone who was told that memberane is visible in 12th/13th week and then it got disappeared after 16th/18th week?
Initially my memberane wasnt visible but than at 12th week u/s I was told by the radiologist that he could see the thin memberane(which i could make out too)but than when i went during 16th week my memberane wasnt visible anymore. When i asked my doc she said that the memberane is properly visible only from 12-14th week, later on its not easy to figure out memberane. Does anyone has any idea about this? has anyone come across such situation?

#87775 - 03/25/13 02:43 AM Re: Any 1 whose memberane disappeared after sometime? [Re: pin2]
BeccaRocks Offline

Loc: Helena, MT
I honestly have not heard a doctor say that a membrane gets harder to see the further along you are but maybe its because there was never a question about a membrane with me because my boys got tangled early. That is not to say that your doctor is wrong of course because I'm not the expert I hope he/she is.

Hopefully your doctors will spend some time trying to find that membrane if its in fact there because its presence (or lack thereof) will effect your treatment plan. And of course, there is always the possibility that the membrane did exist but something happened to rupture it. That would make your MoDi twins MoMo twins, complete with all the risks and concerns that entails.

Until your doctor know 100% for sure that there is a membrane in there, I would think you would have to treat your pregnancy as a MoMo pregnancy with the extra monitoring and ultrasounds. MoDi pregnancies have a higher risk of TTTS but a MoMo pregnancy adds cord entanglement and cord compression into the mix.

I hope your doctor is able to give you a more clear answer about the membrane. Even more, I hope your pregnancy continues to go well. smile

#87997 - 09/24/13 01:40 PM Re: Any 1 whose memberane disappeared after sometime? [Re: BeccaRocks]
BarbieQ1 Offline

Loc: FL
Hi pin2,

I was lucky that there was a membrane found during my first ultrasound at 12 weeks. The membrane hasn't been seen since, however (now at 18 weeks and had three ultrasounds since the first). Because it isn't visible now, the doctors now want to declare my twins monoamniotic.

Some doctors say that it is easier to see the membrane earlier in the pregnancy. Not all believe that and think the membrane is always easy to see, hence my "dual diagnosis" right now depending upon which of my doctors you talk to.

If anyone has a link to a journal article or anything official, it would be much better. The fact that the membrane would "disappear" has some merit in my mind because the density of the amniotic fluid can change slightly and as the twins get larger, they can severely bend the membrane and make it so the whole thing isn't at all a straight sheet as they press against both sides. I'm not a doctor, though and can't say for certain.

I hope it helps for you to know you are not alone!

#88027 - 11/11/13 12:41 AM Re: Any 1 whose memberane disappeared after sometime? [Re: pin2]
BarbieQ1 Offline

Loc: FL
I now have to update: As of a few weeks ago, it was confirmed that mine do not have a membrane.

What we saw in the first ultrasound was definitely not an umbilical cord and they were not able to "cross" to the other side of the sac (they each keep bouncing around in their own side). The only explanation I've gotten is that it was a partial membrane and was broken down at some point.

I hope you have better luck. Maybe yours will be visible again? Let us all know!